Thursday, February 16, 2006

Break your remote!

So ever since I moved into my studio in the city, I have opted not to get cable. Here’s some of my reasoning: I already subscribe to Blockbuster Online which takes care of movies for me. I live close to a bunch of sports bars if I need to catch a few basketball games. I can use any left over cable savings to buy DVD’s of the shows I like, e.g. Chapelle’s show, Mind of Mencia, Family Guy, Scrubs, etc.

The other main reason is that its so easy to just waste your life away watching TV instead of doing something productive, like going out to bars. I remember wathcing a full season of the Surreal Life last year. Other than hearing Janice Dickinson describe Amorosa as Rick James’ Siamese twin, that entire season was a waste. The rest of the time I saw Balky pathetically grope all of the woman, and in general be a total douche.

And here’s the extreme version of how TV can just suck your life away. In this month’s Maxim, they found a 54 year old guy living in some beat up house, with 14 satellite dishes, giving him access to 5000 channels. Here’s my favorite questions that they asked him:

What’s your favorite thing to watch?
A: I like watching different local channels. I like to watch the Jordan news, Iraq news—I get all them foreign channels.

Q: Have you traveled much at all?
A: No, I just like watching.

[Note: this is the last step of the full evolution of loser couch potato – when you’ve ramped up your news and political show viewing, as you feel like this at least is productive. Can there be a bigger waste of time than watching Bill Frist demand Terry Shiavo be kept alive on "The Situation with (bow-tied prick-boy) Tucker Carlson?"]

Who’s the hottest girl on satellite TV right now?
A: The girl on Weather-Vision, Shanna Kurek. I don’t never miss her show.

Q: Are you single?
Yes. I haven’t found the right person yet.

Classic.

Comments:
yeah, i don't have a tv either, which really helps me stay active socially. at least until i started playing world of warcraft.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?